A couple of weeks ago a lot of my friends (and acquaintances) got spammed by me on purpose: I sent them an invite for Dropbox. The intention was two-fold: 1. to increase my backup space; 1. to get them using a free backup solution. Several people signed up and I hope they are enjoying Dropbox by now.
Thanks to Dropbox, my two all-time favorite applications (1Password for login and general secret management and Things, a neat to-do list manager) have just gotten better. They both have iPhone and now iPad apps, as well and let me tell you, they are wonderful. One of the issues I had was the lack of proper syncing between my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro. 1Password actually synced properly through the iPhone, but Things items got duplicated and this actually caused me to stop using Things. Then the iPad came out and Things looked beautiful on it, plus now I can enter last-minute items before falling asleep. About a week or two ago I learned that you can sync 1Password to many Macs using Dropbox. Thanks to Twitter I learned today that, indeed you can do the same for Things. So, here’s how this works.
- Create a Dropbox account, if you haven’t yet.
- Get 1Password, if you haven’t yet (Click on the banner on my site)
- Get Things, if you haven’t yet.
- Move your Things Library to Dropbox:
- Make sure Things is not running
- Move ~/Library/Application Support/Cultured Code folder to your Dropbox.
- Hold down the OPTION key while starting up Things then point to the Database.xml file at the newly created location.
- Move your 1Password keychain to Dropbox:
- In 1Password go to /Preferences/General click MOVE
- Choose Dropbox as the destination
That’s all. This is how simple it is to have your Things and 1Password libraries stored online in a safe place and have the ability to use them from several Macs. One caveat, however is that you CANNOT have Things or 1Password run on two different computers at the same time, because you’d be reading from/writing to the same data source, which, all my developer friends wold tell you it’s a BIG no-no.
* If you click on the Dropbox links on this page, you WILL generate me extra space. If you are against it, simply go to www.dropbox.com and bypass me.
** I am an affiliate partner for 1Password.
*** CulturedCode I am not affiliated with by any means.